Friday, April 23, 2010

Better Than Restaurant Coleslaw


My children have always had a soft spot for KFC coleslaw. Every time we had the fried chicken (which isn't often) they would beg for the coleslaw over any other side the restaurant offered. I do have to admit that it is pretty good and creamy and I've enjoyed the occasional serving of it as well. I've had a lot of bad coleslaws over the years. There is usually one at every potluck present and while a lot of them are pretty good, there are just as many that are plain bland.


Figuring that I can make a coleslaw that is just as delicious as the fast food version, I was tinkering around with a recipe I had found on All Recipes. It was a good basic recipe but still lacked some of that wonderful creaminess that we all liked. After a lot of experimenting with the recipe and trying different things I came up with my take on this classic that has produced empty bowls time and time again. 


This coleslaw is fantastic with anything from grilled ribs to chicken or even seafood. It comes together quickly but will need to sit for a couple of hours for the flavors to really meld into one another.
I realize you might already have a coleslaw recipe in your repertoire, but maybe you still want to give mine a try and who knows, it might become a favorite of yours as well.


Better Than Restaurant Coleslaw
~ Serves 8~

Ingredients:
1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix
1/3 cup red onion, finely minced
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:
Combine the coleslaw mix and onions in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne, milk, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, and lemon juice; whisk until smooth. Pour mixture over the coleslaw and onion; stir well and chill for at least 1 hour. 

Slightly adapted from: All Recipes

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to try your dressing. Do you think it tastes like KFC's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it certainly was inspired by KFC and has a lot of the creaminess but we think it has actually more flavor. Plus KFC chops their cabbage and I use the shredded kind. If it is any indication, my kids prefer mine over KFC's now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Kentucky, KFC is practically religion and their coleslaw is one of my favorite things on the menu. Your's looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like KFCs coleslaw and will now have to try yours. I love the bright bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last night for my husband and parents and got rave reviews. Thanks for the great recipe. I'll be making this for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails